The area, currently included in the Kachhi District, was used to be the part of old Thal Chotiali District until 1888. Lately, it th was placed under Kalat district on 30 June 1965. In the same year, Kachhi, Dhadar, Lehri, Balanari, Sanni, Bhag, Gandawa, Mirpur, Jhal, Tamboo and Chatter Tehsilswere separated from Kalat district to constitute Kachhi. After the Census of 1972, Tamboo & Chatter Tehsils were separated from district Kachhi and allocated to newly formed district Nasirabad in 1986. Afterwards, it became a part of Nasirabad Division. Presently, District Kachhi comprises an area st of 8,036, which was 11,114 square kilometers before bifurcation in to Jhal Magsi and Bolan on 31 December, 1991. The th district started functioning under a District Magistrate on 17 May, 1992. Kachhi was bifurcated into two districts; Jhal Magsi and Bolan on December 31, 1991. The name Bolan originated from Bolan Pass, which has its historical and strategic significance as a main route between Afghanistan to Punjab and Sindh Provinces as well as to the coast of Pakistan. This significant pass lies between 29°30′ North latitudes and 67°40′ East longitudes approximately and located at 5m in the North-West of Dadhar. The Pass itself is a chain of narrow valleys between high ranges and the river Bolan, which flows through these valleys. Bolan district was renamed as Kachhi on 18 April 2008.